Friday 2 December 2011

Gerhard Richter Show

I was totally absorbed by Richter's diverse approaches to painting, it amazes me that this collection of work is made by the same painter. Richter's traditional, delicate, still lifes positioned alongside huge, abstract paintings which show unpredictable, yet seemingly decisive mark making. Using large brushes, lots of paint and a squeegee, the paint is then wiped across the surface of the canvas. Bold slashes of colour create layers to the work and the space where paint is removed or scraped away reveals previous marks and colour. As I struggle to work out what 'type' of painter I am, if indeed there is a 'type', I am inspired by Richter's bold, intentional and possibly random mark making. Seeing the show has made me want to throw or squeegee paint at paintings which I'm not happy with or that are still work in progress. I risk loosing current work but then by removing some of the random paint I can attempt to rediscover what actually works in the painting.

Station - 1985



Abstract Painting - 1997