Thursday 8 December 2011

Burning Bus!


Detail of 'Burning Bus' Painting.


'Burning Bus' without the Bus!


Returning from holiday I found the area where I live looked like a war zone. While watching the news reports and films which documented the riots, I felt compelled to make work based on the chaos that engulfed my environment. Burning bus, is a large painting filled with fire and blackness, at least it was for a while. This painting has changed so many times, at one point the bus was totally visible, then it became covered in flames. At present  there is a hint of what was once there, it is a much troubled painting or perhaps it is me who is troubled. The painting is not working, The Burning Bus has become an experiment simply because I think it will never be 'finished'! The brush marks became too similar the colours too regular across the canvas and it was screaming for something drastic to happen. I decided to throw a big pot of thinned down oil paint at it! Definately an improvement, something quite interesting is happening where wet meets dry, thinner meets oil and drip meets bump; the surface has movement!